Pascal In a Nutshell
I haven’t written or used any Pascal code for decades. But it was my first love when it comes to computer languages. It’s where I first learned structured and object-oriented programming techniques. I’m curious about the state of Pascal. Does anyone still use it much? CAN you even use it on modern machines?
- was designed by Niklaus Wirth, first appeared around 1970
- uses static, strong, safe typing
- influenced by ALGOL W, Simula 67
It has existed under various standards and implementations:
- Niklaus Wirth’s 1974 version of the language - the “standard”
- ISO/IEC 7185:1990 Pascal. First created in 1983, mainframe and minicomputer implementations generally followed the standard. PC versions did not!
- ISO/IEC 10206:1990 Extended Pascal
- Borland standards Turbo Pascal and Delphi
- UCSD Pascal, later adopted as Apple Pascal
Installing a Compiler
First step is obviously just to try and get it installed…